Some people are puzzled when they try to decide whether or not to buy an air duct cleaning service. We will try to discuss the pros and cons of air duct cleaning and if you should clean air ducts regularly.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
Air duct cleaning is a set of activities to remove mold, debris, dirt from all the components of air forced heating and cooling system. That includes grilles and diffusers, condensate drain pans, heat exchangers heating and cooling coils, the supply and return air ducts, registers and so on.
A professional air duct cleaners should:
- Open access to the whole system, conduct a proper inspection to clean all the parts. Upon arrival in the area of cleaning, we will ask for some information to be able to see the whole system and clean air duct thoroughly.
- Follow the best practices and guidelines on what kind of vacuum cleaner to use; it is expected to use high-efficiency particle air (HEPA) vacuuming equipment. We use only cutting-edge equipment and all the necessary tools to clean duck.
- Additional to vacuuming equipment, professional air duct cleaners use brushes to remove all the dust; we use soft brushes to fibreglass surfaces.
- Take all measurements to protect the home furniture and carpets.
- Seal and re-insulate all the access holes used during the cleaning process
- remove and replace all the damaged ducts,
- remove all the remaining mold, bacteria and dirt manually,
- use the camera for the full inspection of the system,
- use only environmentally friendly products to clean air duct, ensuring nobody is exposed to negative impacts by chemicals used during the process.
EPA also advises to hire a company that has only positive customer reviews, does not advertise routine cleaning, and have a good justification for the use of any chemicals. Here at Golden Line Green Care, we are proud to be a 5-star company who performs professionally and cares about the environment.
Find a sample checklist to control the work of a professional air duct cleaning company.
The benefits are:
- Increased system-efficiency
- The extended economic life of your HVAC system
- Energy and money savings
- Improved home hygiene
When should you clean the air duct and how often?
Although there is no vast research regarding advantages of duct cleaning, no regular air duct cleaning is required, and the EPA advises to clean air duct only if one of the following happens:
- If your ducts and HVAC system has mold in it. Sometimes, mold can be in invisible areas, and you may need a professional inspection to be sure if there is mold or not. You can also give a sample of the mold matter to the lab to get the exact result if the material is mold or only resembles it.
- If there are insects in the system
- If the system is full of dust and debris, and they are released into the home area
How long does it take to clean air duct?
We spend, on average, 2.5 to 5 hours depending on the characteristics of the area:
- The size in sq feets
- Number of furnaces and their location; if it is easy to access or not
- The last time you have cleaned your HVAC system; the level of contamination
If you want to prevent duct contamination, make sure you place and replace all the necessary filters on time. You also need to make sure that all the filters are correctly installed.
Call us for extra information today. We have 15 years of top-rated experience in the Toronto GTA area.
Ready to Get Started?
Our professional team is ready to start whenever you are. Just click the button below to begin!